In case you are still driving a car from 20 years ago, you know what the benefits are. However, for those of you who don’t get the appeal of not only owning, but also actively using an oldsuch a car, here are the 10 reasons people who do usually give about why they are not ready to say goodbye to their automotive pets. Take a look at our new infographic showing the top reasons why people drive old cars!
Note: If you want to make your 20-year-old car last at least this long, let us be your trusted mechanic. Come to our auto repair shop in Hamilton today.
Reasons to keep driving old cars
Our relationships with our cars are quite complicated. They are not just functional items; they are objects of sentimentality and even love. We get attached to them, they become an extension of our personalities and symbols of our socioeconomic status. As such, there are several reasons, ranging from the financial to the purely sentimental, why people tend to hang onto their cars for a long time. Among the top ten reasons given by car owners are the following:
- Old cars are reliable: Provided maintenance is carried our regularly, a good car can run dependably for a long time.
- Owning an old car is simpler: Old cars are less complicated in design and construction, often contain fewer proprietary components, making them easier to fix and maintain.
- It’s practical: For drivers who simply need to get from A to B, there is no need to worry about trading in their old car or searching for a replacement. The car they have does the trick just fine.
- It’s worry free: With older cars, you may not be quite as concerned about maintaining pristine paintwork or stressing about choosing the right parking space to ensure you don’t get any scratches or dings. (This is only true for some owners of older cars, of course!)
- It’s depreciated: That old runaround could have clocked up thousands of kilometres and continue doing so, even though it is now of low value and thus less of risk.
- It gets good gas mileage: Once some drivers get their hands on a car with good fuel economy, they will hold onto it for dear life! Why trade it in for a car that will cost more to run?
- Insurance is cheap: Older car equals lower value, which equals lower risk, and thus, cheaper insurance.
- Taxes are low: Some owners cite low property taxes as a reason to keep an old car.
- Tires are cheap: For some, replacing and maintaining tires on older cars is cheaper and easier.
- Keys are cheap: Older cars have straightforward keys with no electronic components, which can easily be replaced by cutting a new one at the local hardware store.
Take a look at the complete infographic below.
We are located only 5 min driving North of St. Peter’s Hospital – Hamilton Health Sciences and 6 min driving North of Gage Park.
Since 2005, we have built a reputation for delivering exceptional automotive repair services and outstanding customer care.
Our commitment to excellence and dedication to our clients have made us a trusted name in automotive care.
Our team of licensed technicians is experienced in working on all makes and models, including electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrids.
Our comprehensive range of services ensures that your vehicle remains in top condition, covering all aspects of automotive repair and maintenance.
When you choose CRS Automotive, you’re choosing a team that genuinely cares about you and your vehicle.