It’s safe to assume that every driver nowadays has a smartphone, right? But how many of you are actually using your phone to enhance your driving experience and take care of your car?
If you are slacking in this department, we are here to help you. We give you the 4 best car advice apps!
Car maintenance apps every car owner should try
They say there is an app for literally everything, and a casual browse or quik search through the more popular app stores would seem to indicate that this is true. Even car maintenance, an admittedly complex subject, and one that many people feel uncomfortable handling on their own, can be made substantially easier by one of the many apps currently available. From navigation to gas-saving tips, troubleshooting advice and more, car maintenance apps offer a wide variety of functions that can make owning, driving and maintaining a car much easier. Her are 5 car maintenance apps that every driver should try.
1) Android Auto
Android Auto is easily one of the best autmotivecar apps around. It gives drives quick access to Google Maps, messaging apps, music apps, and other utilities quickly. It works in two ways. The app can open on your device and work from a mount on your dashboard. There are also cars with Android Auto built-in. That puts Android right there on your car’s touchscreen. In either case, it’s completely free and usually better than what car manufacturers offer. The only downside is that Android Auto isn’t included on a whole ton of vehicles yet. However, we expect that to change over the next few years.
- Route to your next destination using Google Maps with real-time GPS navigation and traffic alerts
- Make calls using Google Assistant and answer incoming calls with just a tap
- Listen to your favorite media apps including Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Google Play Music, Amazon Music, NPR One, Audible, MLB.com, and Deezer. Much more music, radio, news, sports news, audiobook, and podcast apps are also supported
- Send and receive messages with your Google Assistant using SMS, Hangouts, WhatsApp, Skype, Telegram, WeChat, Kik, Google Allo, and many more messaging apps.
GasBuddy is a money saving app for motorists. It crowdsources gas prices in your area. You can then choose the gas station with the cheapest gas. It works best on road trips. However, it’s just as good if you’re cruising around your hometown. You can also contribute by changing prices as you see them. Those who help contribute can win $100 in free gas. It’s not a huge thing, but it’s nice. It’s one of the essential car apps, even for those who aren’t necessarily car people.
- Locate the gas stations with the lowest-priced gas
- Filter the search results by price, location, brand, and amenities like car washes, restaurants and restrooms
- Read hundreds of thousands of reviews written by the GasBuddy community
- Get price hike alerts so you can fill up before the increase
- Find deals offered by local convenience stores
- Report gas prices to help others save money and climb the ranks in your community
- Earn achievements by completing daily, weekly and monthly Challenges
- Write reviews, rate stations and add tips for other GasBuddy users.
3) Torque Pro
Torque Pro is an app for troubleshooting that pairs with various OBD2 devices via Bluetooth. It can then read the codes and let you know what your check engine light is. It’s one of the better car apps for mechanics and those who can do their own car work. It can also keep track of a variety of stats from your car. That includes a GPS speedometer, alarms and warnings, CO2 emissions, and more. There is a free version you can try first. However, it was 2015 when it was last updated. The pro version gets more frequent updates.
- Dyno / Dynamometer and Horsepower/HP & Torque
- 0-60 speed timings
- CO2 emissions readout
- Massive fault code database for lookup of fault codes from different manufacturers
- Send logging information to web or email CSV/KML for analysis via excel / open office reader
- Heads up display / HUD mode for night time driving
- GPS Speedometer/Tracking and realtime web upload capability
- Turbo boost feature for vehicles that support MAP and MAF sensors
- Alarms and warnings with voice/speech overlay
- Car dock support
- Graph data
- Able to share screenshots to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Email, etc
4) CARFAX Car CARE
CARFAX Car Care enables you to track your car’s service requirements, reminding you when it is time to take your car for a service, alerting you to any safety recalls on your car model, and automatically updating your car’s status when a service is completed. It has the capacity to manage up to eight cars, making it ideal for a family or a small business running a fleet of vehicles.
- Receive service reminders
- Get notified of open recalls
- Find local service shops you can trust
- View previous service history
- Know when your next registration is due
- Manage up to 8 cars in your Garage
- See your car’s maintenance schedule, including oil, tires, brakes, filters and inspections
- Personalize your car with a photo and nickname
- Log in with your Facebook, Google or Apple accounts
Even when using one of the four best apps for car maintenance, the time will come when your vehicle needs some professional care. Bring it to the CRS Automotive workshop in Hamilton.