Many things get annoying while driving and increase stress, like taking phone calls while driving, speeding in a school area, taking a turn without giving the signal, but one of the most annoying things is when you are in the middle of bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Read more about the dangers of bumper-to-bumper driving below and how to protect yourself (and your car).
What is bumper-to-bumper driving?
Bumper-to-bumper traffic occurs when vehicles are packed tightly close to each other on a road. Bumper-to-bumper happens when vehicles have no choice, or voluntary choose to drive, so close to vehicles that they are almost touching. The result of this closeness leads to traffic slowing down, dangerous driving, and frustrated drivers.
Why is bumper-to-bumper traffic so dangerous?
According to recent research in the UK, as many as 9 out of 10 drivers found that they had such an experience, and a quarter of those surveyed admitted to having personally driven unsafely close to another driver. The crash results show that 1 in 8 road accidents is caused by such driver behavior, leading to the fatal fact of as many as 100 deaths or serious injuries each year. Only in the UK.
“If you get too close to the car in front of you, you won’t be able to react in time if you suddenly have to brake. If it causes a collision, then the passengers in both cars can be injured or killed,” says England’s Highways Director Richard Leonard.
In addition, this type of driving directly affects the congestion in cities by creating traffic jams because of drivers who constantly brake and accelerate and drive too close to other cars, and therefore slow down others even though there are no obstacles in the way.
When traffic becomes a major obstacle to your daily commute, it tends to become extremely stressful. This can directly impact your performance on the road as the strain will break your attention from following traffic safety rules. Hence, you need to be extra alert towards your surroundings to ensure car safety in heavy traffic.
Safety tips for bumper-to-bumper traffic
Here is how to make your car traffic-safe:
- Have your brakes inspected regularly to ensure that they are not worn down
- Make sure that the brake lights and the parking brake light are working
- Adjust your rear-view and side mirrors before driving
- Make sure you’re well-rested before driving
- Check the road and weather conditions in advance to prevent mishaps
- Start your journey with extra time in hand
- Be prepared for road works and diversions to avoid frustrations
- Use online maps that reveal heavily congested areas to avoid on your route
- Be aware of alternative routes to your destination.
- Look out for any signs of danger on the road
- Pay attention to the brake lights of the car ahead to know when it stops
- Avoid any distractions such as your cell phone or loud music
- Always convey your driving intentions with hand signals and indicators
- Keep checking your mirrors for possible danger
- Be wary of the different vehicles and situations around your car
- Maintain a safe braking distance in traffic to avoid any kind of mishap.
- The ideal car stopping distance from the car ahead is of 4 seconds.
This is why following the stopping distance in traffic is important:
- Gives you ample response time to slow down
- You will have time to react to sudden braking by the cars ahead of them
- Frequent braking and rear-end collisions can be avoided.
- As cars in a traffic bumper-to-bumper are more prone to accidents than any other, having car insurance in hand can save you from unforeseen incidents caused due to negligence of traffic safety rules. It will help you deal with the accidental damage caused to your car and also if there are any third-party losses.
What to do if something happens to your car
Here are steps to take if your vehicle is damaged during bumper-to-bumper traffic bashing:
1. Stop immediately, even if the damage is minimal. Check to see if the car in front of you or behind you was damaged or affected.
2. Switch on your hazards.
3. Check to see if anyone has been injured in your vehicle. If you are okay and your vehicle can be moved, move it out of the way of incoming traffic.
4. If you are unable to move or there is too much damage done to your car, place hazard markers on the road and call an emergency or tow truck to assist you.
5. Properly assess your vehicle for damage and take pictures of your vehicle and the vehicle that you have collided with.
6. Take note of the road name, robots, or any special landmarks.
7. Exchange information with the party/parties involved, such as full names, license and car registration numbers, insurance details/ If witnesses are involved, take down their information too.
8. Depending on the area, you may need to report the accident to the police and insurance company even if the damage is minimal.
CRS Automotive Hamilton car repair service
In case something does happen to your car, or you just want to do a regular maintenance checkup, come to our repair shops in Hamilton. CRS Automotive Hamilton offers a full-service vehicle care facility but regardless of whether you have light or medium-duty vehicles and trucks. When your car is giving you trouble after a bumper-to-bumper traffic accident, we will be able to find the problem, fix it and perform maintenance to ensure it does not give you more trouble down the line. We service all makes and models, for a reasonable price. Our expert staff has a wide range of skills and is up to any challenge your vehicle may offer. There is never any pressure to purchase and we will give you honest answers upfront.
We are located only 4 min walking South West of Tim Hortons Field and 4 min walk West of Bernie Morelli Recreation Centre.
Since 2005, we have built a reputation for delivering exceptional automotive repair services and outstanding customer care.
Our commitment to excellence and dedication to our clients have made us a trusted name in automotive care.
Our team of licensed technicians is experienced in working on all makes and models, including electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrids.
Our comprehensive range of services ensures that your vehicle remains in top condition, covering all aspects of automotive repair and maintenance.
When you choose CRS Automotive, you’re choosing a team that genuinely cares about you and your vehicle.