Buying a used car can be an excellent financial decision. However, you must do your due diligence and research before investing in one. CRS Automotive Hamilton realizes how daunting the task can be and outlines the following questions you can ask the original owner before buying the used car.
The basics of checking a used car
One thing is true and reassuring: you do not have to be an automotive expert to conduct a basic check of the used car you are looking to buy. Just remember, there are five main sections to look out for. These include:
1. The ‘For Sale’ sign: It provides information such as year, price, model, asking price etc. This basic information can interest you or put you off, i.e. if the price or model is not what you are looking for.
2. The body: Look out for signs of damage, rust, or dents across the entire body. Apart from that, check if there are chips on the windshield or if the headlights are foggy.
3. Tires: Replacing tires, wheels and rims can be expensive, so it is essential to check these before buying the used car thoroughly. Make sure all four wheels or tires are the same, and there is no visible damage.
4. The interior: Inspect the interior for tears and nicks on the seats. Inspect all the available options such as sunroofs, navigation systems, or an automatic or manual car.
5. The undercarriage: This area is often neglected by buyers. Look out for leaks, rust or damage to the structure or frame. Do not forget to check the suspension system, including the tie rods, ball joints, shocks, axle and the like.
Questions to ask the owner
Once you have inspected the car, it is time to speak to the owner to get a more detailed history and understanding of the vehicle. CRS Automotive Hamilton outlines the following questions that must be part of your conversations:
1. How long have you owned the car?
2. Why are you selling it?
3. Does everything work/any problems?
4. Any service records, what have you done since owning the car?
5. What did you use the vehicle for?
6. How many miles did you put on it when you owned it?
7. What car are you looking to get now? Why?
For more information on used cars and the best deals, contact CRS Automotive today!